By: Jarius Tommillson
In our society, image is everything. With the help of social media, the internet, TV and radio, people are willing to do anything to fit into that sexy category. If you believe it or not, dieting is big portion of losing weight. You can spend hours in the gym working on that itty bitty waist, but if you don’t change your diet all the work will be in vain. I am living an active lifestyle yet crave those yumtastic dishes that is not the best for me. So as a cook, I enjoy recreating my favorite snacks into food that is not only healthier but tasty too. Do you enjoy zesty Lemon Pepper Wings? If so, you will be elated with my Lemon Pepper Chicken Salad. All the flavors of a crispy wing without the salt.
With this salad, I marinate a whole chicken (you can use a cornish hen as well for the recipe) overnight to really lock in the flavor. For the marinate, follow these easy steps below:
- Wash chicken with cold water and clean.
- Pate dry with a clean cloth; chicken makes its own water so no need to make it extra wet!
- Place chicken it a clean Tupperware. Dice fresh garlic and surround it in the bowl. Slice a lemon and a squeeze upside down all the juice out. This is perfect for catching the seeds when squeezing the fruit. Also roll the lemon before cutting into it. It helps the juices flow.
- Sprinkle black pepper and Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning. Mrs. Dash is salt free and great if you are watching your salt intake!
- Mix all the ingredients together within the chicken and let it set in the refrigerator overnight. In a couple of hours, turn the chicken to make sure it soaks up all the marinate.
After the flavoring process, place chicken in roasting pan and bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour. I like to keep the chicken
in the oven so the skin really crisp up just at if it was fried. After the chicken is cooled, chop chicken down starting at the breast bone. Taste a piece of the chicken to make sure the lemon pepper flavoring is throughout the bird. After cutting the chicken, place into a bowl. Add a diced onion, tomatoes, and green pepper. With the help of mustard, light mayo, this lemon pepper chicken salad can take your taste buds in a frenzy!